Monday, September 15, 2008

Week 3, K-12: First kindergarten dilemma


Kindergarten Schoolwork 3
Originally uploaded by Noell
Rosie's teacher, Miss M., just volunteered this information to me:

"Rosie seems to work very slowly. She hardly finishes any work assigned during instructional time, and will not pick up the pace, despite the numerous amounts of encouragement given to her. I have provided her with one-on-one assistance, as well as positive reinforcement, but nothing seems to work. Today she had to sit and complete her morning work during storytime, as we got nothing from her to check over this morning. Please talk to Rosie about the importance of finishing her work in the allotted time."

We did encounter this non-participation issue around this time last year in pre-school and I blogged about it then.

Please, if anyone has suggestions on how to motivate a five-(almost 6)year-old to get it done, post them in the comments! Thanks!

6 comments:

  1. buy her a pony? Sorry. I have no useful advice, just a smart mouth.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, if you knew Rosie, you'd know that would be a THREAT! As in, "if you don't shape up right now, we'll lock you in a room with a scary, hairy, four-legged beast with big teeth and hooves!!"

    LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My 7th-grader STILL has the same problem. So, yeh, I'll be checking your comments for friendly advice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ish she being a perfectionist?? I learned that sometimes that is the issue. Maybe she sees it in her head a certain way, how she thinks it should look, and yet she can't make it look that way.

    It's a thought, and a traight my sister deals with in her 7 year old.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Here's a development: shortly after Rosie's teacher sent me that note (i.e. she did not come in to work on Tuesday) she was hospitalized with a "diabetic attack." We are all wishing her well and I helped Rosie make a get well card last night. She will be out at least all week.

    I can't help but wonder if she was already not feeling well and was being overly critical?

    Either way, we have had discussions with Rosie about listening to her teacher and finishing assignments more quickly. We're working out a reward system as well, with special outings to look forward to (like the pool, the zoo, camping).

    I'll let you know how it goes! And I'll look into the perfectionist thing, Grandy. That's something that's best to nip in the bud, as it can become crippling in adult work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Not that I am any sort of mom but maybe rewarding her with a prize at the end of the week for trying to get her projects done on time?

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online