Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension

Okay, so we've been playing Buckaroo Banzai for the kids. And they love it. This was one of Monkeyrotica's favorite movies from the 80s and honestly, the first time I ever saw it was last year. I was talking it up to somebody yesterday, because, I am just amazed and compelled by its awfulness. I can't stop asking, how did anyone green light this? why did all these great actors sign on? when their special effects budget ran out, why did using bubble wrap, duct tape and snorkels seem like a good idea? The plot is so convoluted, I had to go to IMDB.com to give you a good synopsis:
"Adventurer/surgeon/rock musician Buckaroo Banzai and his band of men, the Hong Kong Cavaliers, take on evil alien invaders from the 8th dimension."
If that's not enough for you, go read the rest.

For those of you who haven't seen the film, you'll be astounded by the calibre of actors who were part of the ensemble cast:

Peter Weller (Nominated for an Oscar/of RoboCop and Naked Lunch)
John Lithgow (Nominated for 2 Oscars/of 3rd Rock from the Sun)
Ellen Barkin (Nominated for 2 Golden Globes/of Ocean's Thirteen and Drop Dead Gorgeous)
Jeff Goldblum (Nominated for an Oscar/of Jurassic Park and The Fly)
Christopher Lloyd (Won 3 Primetime Emmys/of Back to the Future and Addams Family)
Vincent Schiavelli (Vanity Fair's "best character actor in America" with over 120 film and tv appearances was notably in Batman Returns and Ghost)
Carl Lumbly (of Alias and Battlestar Galactica)
Clancy Brown (Voice of Mr. Eugene Krabs on all the SpongeBob cartoons!)

Just for kitsch value alone, a good laugh, and to see a moment in time where all these actors paused, go and rent The Adventures of Buckaroo Banzai across the 8th Dimension. Let me know what you think! To all fans of SciFi and of this film, I ask, what happened to the sequel?

4 comments:

  1. No matter where you go... there you are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's not my damn planet, monkey boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. And if your franchise movie bombs, you don't get to make a sequel.

    Notice there's no "Howard the Duck II."

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was one of my favorite movies when I was a kid -- we rented it from Blockbuster and I watched the hell out of it.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online