Wednesday, February 06, 2008

Buy lumber, Check!

The "build-a-projector-screen" is officially underway! AJS had asked me last week if I knew a carpenter, and when he explained why he wanted one, I answered, "Pshaw! We can build that ourselves." To that, he said, "No, you will do it. I'm hiring somebody, or it's all on you."

After checking a couple descriptions of DIY screen jobs online, I decided to go with a combination of two plans. I made a 108" by 58" frame from 1" by 4" pine, cut the corners at diagonals with a saw (by eye, I didn't have a miter), and while carefully applying my t-square (yay tools-of-the-trade!), drilled and screwed in squaring corners and brackets. It is as square as squared wood can be!

The next step is to trim out and stretch black felt over the wood in front, to make a nice contrasting surface for the frame. I'm using a staple gun to affix it, and am not done as of today. My wee hands aren't really staple-gun friendly and sadly, it's not an after-the-kids-go-to-bed activity; too noisy!

Once that's complete, I'll also be stretching and stapling black-out fabric over the frame as well. And the frame will be complete! All that is left after that is to mount it on the wall, which sounds potentially easy, but the space AJS picked for it includes a windowsill with a 2" lip. I'm going to need to go back to the hardware store to purchase longer nails to accomodate the spacers I'll be adding.

Wish me luck! I'll post pics soon.

2 comments:

  1. Wow, you're amazing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And once that's done, you can get to work on that velvet drape theater mural to replace the white wall. I'd like to go for something Hopper-esque, but that's your call. As long as it's dark.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online