Monday, November 03, 2008

World holidays & festivals, a theme


Native American Museum
Originally uploaded by nylonthread
A few other folks I know who are participating in NaBloPoMo have chosen a theme for their posts this month—this is totally at the blogger's discretion, only suggested as a tool for getting those posts written.

That said, given the content of my last two day's posts and some historical avoidings leanings of mine, my November theme is World Holidays & Festivals. I may or may not stick to it, bear with me.

If you have a favorite holiday/festival that you'd like me to feature, add it into the comments; I'd totally love that!

Some background to this theme idea: years ago, after college—but before marriage and kids—it was just me and my fine arts degree in graphic design. My dad, ever looking ahead, found the perfect way for me to rake in a boatload of cash (a way that I mostly stonewalled). It was a brilliant idea, only it was a lot of work, required an entrepreneurial spirit, and wasn't the direction that I saw my career going.

The Idea: design, illustrate, write, produce, and sell greeting cards for non-Hallmark holidays. Or, not even non-Hallmark but particularly celestial holidays that focus on getting back to seasonal rhythms. For example, a celestial event that would be appropriate (and that coincidentally falls on or near my dad's birthday) is the Vernal or Autumnal Equinox. I bought a few books on the subject of celestial events at the time and even threw an equinox party one year, complete with planting sapling trees and a harvest feast. Anyway, details on those celebrations will be saved for another post. Suffice to say, this is a subject that has been floating in my periphery, though I have not actualized the greeting card concept.

For the world end of things, I have access (through work) to many international projects, holidays, travelers, and customs that I may feature when I'm searching for a good topic. I'm looking forward to this!

I leave you with a delightful image of Rosie, with her gorgeous paper flower that we made at the Smithsonian's Dia de los Muertos Festival.

3 comments:

  1. awesome theme - I'm excited for it. As my kids get a little older I'm more interested in having traditions for our family. I am not tied to Judeo-Christian or American holidays, maybe you'll find the perfect thing for me :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ava is also a fan of El Dia De Los Muertos. The Mexican Fine Art Museum here in Chicago has a display right now and we are going to go sometime this month. Her school has a huge altar set up in the hallway as well.

    Fun topic! We love festivals and holidays, our own and those of other cultures. One thing I love about the diversity in Ava's school is the inclusion of other cultures in the education process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm hoping that as I get into the groove of writing these, that I'll add a "celebrating as a family slant" to it. Not quite there yet.

    Keep the comments coming! Your thoughts help me be a better writer & pick good topics.

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online