Friday, October 19, 2007

Belated Dover Design Thursday


William Tell Apples.jpg
Originally uploaded by nylonthread
Firstly, I apologize for not posting this yesterday -- I was exhausted by the time I got home and didn't have time to get to the computer before I fell asleep.

Secondly, you know, I had always thought that William Tell was an irresponsible show-off who recklessly endangered his child, thinking that he was such a great archer, he could shoot an apple of his son's head. Obviously, I never read the disputedly true story of William Tell, where he is a legendary hero. According to Wikipedia,

"William Tell from Bürglen was known as an expert marksman with the crossbow. At the time, the Habsburg emperors were seeking to dominate Uri. Hermann Gessler, the newly appointed Austrian Vogt of Altdorf raised a pole in the village's central square with his hat on top and demanded that all the local townsfolk bow before it. As Tell passed by without bowing, he was arrested. He received the punishment of being forced to shoot an apple off the head of his son, Walter, or else both would be executed."

Interesting trivia: This story was a favorite of Adolf Hitler's.

Anyway, I guess it's one way to advertise your apples for sale, but it still looks to me like Mr. Tell is about to kill his child. A little too much tension for me when I'm at point-of-purchase in the produce section.

1 comment:

  1. I love Dover Design Thursday!

    Hey, I tagged you for a meme. :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate the time you've spent reading my post and would love to read your comments!

 
Who links to me?

blogger templates | Make Money Online